Minutes of the Full Council Meeting – Thursday 15 October 2020
BRACKLA COMMUNITY COUNCIL
THE NEXT MEETING OF BRACKLA COMMUNITY COUNCIL
FULL COUNCIL MEETING
Thursday 15 October 2020 at 6.30pm
Via Video Link
Cllr T Giffard – Chairperson
Cllr D Aston
Cllr I Hibble
Cllr K Hughes
Cllr C Jackson
Cllr A Pucella
Cllr K Rowlands
Cllr J Spanswick
Cllr T Walsh
66 Public Address to Council (10 minutes only)
67 Apologies for Absence
68 To receive Declarations of Interest in accordance with the Council’s Code of Conduct (and section 106 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992)
Cllr T Giffard declared a personal interest in relation to item 86, Planning, as he is a Member of Bridgend County Borough Council.
Cllr A Pucella declared a personal interest in relation to item 86, Planning, as he is a Member of Bridgend County Borough Council.
Cllr K Rowlands declared a personal interest in relation to item 86, Planning, as she is a Member of Bridgend County Borough Council.
Cllr J Spanswick declared a prejudicial interest in relation to item 86, Planning, as he is a Member of Bridgend County Borough Council and of Bridgend BCB Development Control Committee. He agreed to therefore leave the meeting for this item.
Cllr I Hibble declared a personal interest throughout, as he is a Civil Servant working for Welsh Government.
Cllr K Hughes declared a personal interest in relation to item 74, Possible Relocation of Ysgol Gymraeg Bro Ogwr – Feasibility Study and ‘Save Our Fields’ as he is a School Governor of Ysgol Bro Ogwr.
69 Ratification of Minutes of the Full Council 17 September 2020
The minutes were approved, proposed by Cllr K Hughes and seconded by Cllr C Jackson.
70 Clerks Report including matters relating to the Council’s previous meeting
The Clerk provided the following updates to Members:
• New Christmas lights had been purchased for the roundabouts with a slight adjustment to the arrangement given previously to Members. The Clerk reported that the cost would be approximately £1500 over what was originally budgeted due to the amount of new lamppost conversions that were required. This increase was agreed by Cllr A Pucella and seconded by Cllr K Hughes;
• A number of residents had been in touch regarding Fly Tipping on Brackla way. BCBC had also been informed and are trying to resolve the issue;
• A local resident had complained about Speeding on Wyndam Close. It was agreed that the Clerk would look into further; where precisely the issue is and what investigations have previously been undertaken in this area;
• There is a Town and Community Council Forum Meeting on Monday 26th October – Cllr C Jackson would be attending;
• There was a Standard Committee Vacancy with BCBC if any Member was interested in applying;
• IRP Draft Report had been published and an email sent out asking for any comments as part of the consultation process;
• Roundabout payments – the Clerk reported that there had been difficulty in obtaining payments quarterly in advance and therefore proposed that payments be requested in advance for the whole year. In the case of 2020-21, a request for the final 5 months from November to March would be sent. The Council unanimously agreed this process;
• Defibrillator Grant available – the Clerk had been contacted regarding a grant that was available to purchase an additional defibrillator for Brackla. The Council agreed for the Clerk to look into this and add it to Forward Work Programme;
• Keep Wales Tidy – Cllr J Spanswick had tried to get an update from the Keep Wales Tidy Officer but had yet to receive a response. He confirmed that planters had been put into the garden at the Community Centre with the hope that Banana Moon Nursery would get the Children involved with planting bulbs and looking after flowers and plants.
71 To discuss any matters concerning the Community Centre
The Clerk confirmed that a Community Centre Committee Meeting would be organised for November to discuss the first month the Centre has been open since the national lockdown. The Clerk advised Members that most of the cupboards and storge areas had been sorted through with final areas to be cleared once contact had been made with the groups and they we could organise for them to attend to sort through their own equipment.
The Clerk reported that staff had been called to attend the Centre as the the fire alarm had gone off following a glass fire panel being broken on one of the points. Fire Safety Direct were called out to replace the broken glass and recommended that new core points be placed in the building at the next service to prevent this happening again.
The Clerk advised Members that she has not had chance to look into the building work for the Centre as yet and would discuss this further with the Community Centre Committee.
It was agreed that Banana Moon’s after school club at the Community Centre would be charged the full price of £7 per hour for use of the Committee Room.
(a) Approval of the Schedule of Payments September 2020
The payments were approved, proposed by Cllr J Spanswick and seconded by Cllr K Rowlands.
(b) Bank Reconciliation as at 30 September 2020
The Statement was approved as correct, proposed by Cllr K Hughes and seconded by Cllr D Aston.
(c) Monthly Budget Review September 2020
The budget review was approved, proposed by Cllr T Walsh and seconded by Cllr D Aston.
(d) Payments for Authorisation
The payments were approved, proposed by Cllr K Hughes and seconded by Cllr J Spanswick.
73 Brackla Community Council Casual Vacancy – Co-option
Joshua Chohan was appointed to sit on Brackla Community Council to continue the term until the next election.
74 Possible Relocation of Ysgol Gymraeg Bro Ogwr – Feasibility Study and ‘Save Our Field’
The Clerk read out the reply from Bridgend County Borough Council’s Chief Executive in relation to the Council’s letter regarding the possible relocation of Ysgol Gymraeg Bro Ogwr and the invitation to attend a meeting of Brackla Community Council to discuss this. The response concluded that they would not attend a meeting as the feasibility study has not yet been completed.
Members expressed disappointment at the response given the fact that Officers and the Cabinet Member could have still agreed to attend to discuss the possible future adoption of other green space.
Cllr K Rowlands asked if there was a way to ask BCBC to not undertake the survey when the schools are closed.
Cllr K Hughes requested that the Terms of Reference and timescales surrounding the traffic survey be shared with the Community Council.
Cllr T Walsh also asked if the Community Council could receive the outcome of BCBC’s audit of recreation space when it is published.
The Council agreed to engage with the consultation process surrounding the possible relocation of Ysgol Gymraeg Bro Ogwr at an appropriate time and that in the meantime the Clerk would contact BCBC’s Community Asset Transfer Officer to schedule a meeting for the new year to discuss the possible adoption of green space in Brackla. Members agreed to write a response asking for continued information sharing including details of the timescales and Terms of Reference for the traffic survey. They also wished to request that they be notified when the audit of recreation space has been completed and published along with the Deposit Plan (draft LDP), so that they can be involved in any consultation process around them.
75 Litter Bins in Brackla
The Clerk presented the report, thanking Cllr K Hughes for his time and research into the subject and for contacting BCBC’s Operations Manager, Cleaner Streets to clarify various aspects. Cllr K Hughes confirmed that BCBC did not have the funds to purchase any further bins and were therefore grateful that the Community Council were looking to. He also explained that he was hoping to ask BCBC to move some of the smaller bullet bins to different locations such as Underwood place and then the Community Council would replace them with the bigger 110 litre ones.
Members asked that clarification be sought as to whether any type of planning permission was needed for the placement of new bins and also whether BCBC would be able to assist with any emptying of new bins.
Members agreed that they wished to order the same stainless steel bins as previously purchased for the Community Council in order to show the distinction between the BCBC ones and the Community Council ones. There was also a general consensus that the bin behind Trem-y-Mor should be reinstated as there should be as many bins in the area as possible.
Members agreed to try and purchase the same bins as previously purchased, with the BCC logo on them. The Clerk agreed to get quotes on these and similar for the Full Council meeting in November along with clarification on bin locations and various aspects from BCBC so that final decisions could be made in November on numbers and locations of new bins.
76 Pebble Pathway Display
The Clerk informed Members that Tremains Woodland Rangers had signed a license with Bridgend County Borough Council in order to create the Pebble Pathway though the detail of this license were still unknown.
It was initially proposed that the Community Council take responsibility for the project rather than just provide funding towards it. Following queries and discussion around how the Community Council would physically maintain it themselves, it was further proposed that instead the Community Council help to make the pathway permanent and give support for maintenance around the rocks through the Council’s own grounds maintenance contractor. Cllr J Spanswick also reiterated that a similar smaller project should still be set up in the Community Centre.
Members generally expressed concerns over how the Community Council could possibly take responsibility of the pebble pathway and its overall maintenance and Cllr K Hughes agreed with having something at the Community Centre such as a plaque. He also suggested to keep the News article and video on the Community Councils website to continue to promote the project. Cllr D Aston advised Members that other streets had done similar, and therefore should all be included in a display at the Community Centre as it wouldn’t seem right to support one group and not others.
It was agreed to agenda this item again at next month’s meeting, and for more information to be requested about the licence and maintenance plan from Tremains Woodland Rangers.
Further discussions could then also take place regarding a community centre display.
77 Brackla Community Council 5 Year Plan
The Clerk advised that in order to develop a 5 year plan there needed to be detailed planning to identify the key areas for future work. Cllr T Giffard suggested that various smaller Committees could meet, such as the Community Centre Committee to consider priorities in particular areas that can then be fed back to Full Council and formulated in to the overall plan.
Cllr J Spanswick proposed that the Council consider items such as play spaces and areas in Brackla including the work already mentioned on green space. Cllr K Hughes added to this, proposing the creation of a Well-being and Future Generations Committee for such items, possibly replacing the current Youth Committee which has yet to meet. Cllr T Walsh also suggested reaching out to residents in the area to help with ideas and priorities for the 5 year plan. The Clerk agreed to present the proposal at the next Full Council meeting when the Committee membership would be reconsidered following the recent co-option.
78 Grass Cutting And Grounds Maintenance Contract 2020-21
Members agreed to extend the Grass-Cutting and Grounds Maintenance contract for the winter period until the end of March 2021. Following this a full tender process for a 3 year contract would be considered. Cllr I Hibble suggested that the planning for the tender process be started soon, to give enough time to prepare it advertise it in order to commence the new contract in April.
79 Flowers – Summer Bedding and hanging baskets
Members were presented with information relating to the 2021 summer bedding quoteand asked to make changes or approve the order. Cllr K Hughes suggested creating a Rainbow display in the flower beds at the Haywain and the Crematorium entrances of Brackla. Members agreed the suggestion and asked the Clerk to explore this option with the Contractor and flower nursery.
The summer flower bedding order was approved subject to changes to the two beds by the Haywain and the Crematorium roundabout, where the order be amended to create rainbow displays in these two areas.
80 To Appoint Community Councillor Representative for Brackla Primary School
Members agreed to postpone this item until November when the new Councillor is appointed onto Committees.
81 To confirm arrangements for the Annual Community Events:
(a) Seniors Christmas Tea
Cllr T Giffard proposed that the Seniors Tea be cancelled this year due to the Covid-19 Pandemic and in line with Government advice.
Members discussed the possibility of some type of Christmas gesture to the residents of Brackla, given the fact that all events have had to be cancelled this year. Whilst a raffle could not be undertaken as this would require a license, it was suggested that some form of hamper be offered as a prize for those wishing to enter, possibly linking it to consultation over the Community Council’s budget priorities or input into the 5 year plan. The Clerk agreed to look into this and explore some options and also proposed that BAVO be contacted to see if they were undertaking any Christmas projects or gestures for local residents that the Community Council could possibly engage and assist with.
82 Crime Statistics for Brackla
Members were presented with an update on the Crime Statistics for the Brackla area. It was asked if the Clerk could follow up concerns over various spikes with local PCSOs.
83 To Receive Reports from Members
Cllr J Spanswick announced that he had been appointed as Deputy Mayor of Bridgend County Borough Council until May 2021. Members offered messages of congratulations to and wished him luck in the role.
Cllr K Hughes informed Members that he had attended a One Voice Wales area meeting and an Ysgol Bro Ogwr Governors meeting since the last Full Council meeting.
Cllr K Rowlands raised concerns over reports on social media about dangerous driving in parts of Brackla. The Clerk was asked to look into this with the local PCSO and try and get some feedback on what was being done to prevent or deal with this.
84 Agenda items for November 2020 Full Council Meeting
The following items were proposed for consideration at the next Full Council meeting in November:
• Budget Consultation
• Pebble Pathway
• Appointment of Committees
85 Date of the next Full Council Meeting –Thursday 19 November 2020
86 Planning Applications
Meeting closed at 8:40pm
Clerk of the Council